Sunday, January 27, 2008

Review of The Man Who Knew Too Little


Rating: 4.5 Stars (Out of 5)

This hokey Bill Murray comedy hits me square in the funny bone. I still remember going to see this at a friend's birthday party back in junior high. While everyone stewed that we should have gone to see Mr. Bean, I have never been able to stop laughing at this movie.

In keeping with my goal of reviewing every movie that I watch, I must lavish praise on this comedic masterpiece. Bill Murray lives out the fantasy of becoming a super agent. Regrettably, he doesn't know that he is part of a very real international conspiracy to restart the cold war. Thinking he is just an actor in a live action play, he proceeds to bumble his way through life and death situations with a cavalier demeanor.

Outstanding supporting performances from the whole cast (notably Alfred Molina, Joanne Whalley, and Peter Gallagher) really make the film come alive. The spy plot lends a thriller aspect, while at the same time Bill Murray provides the laughs.

I've never seen it on TV, but if you come across it at Blockbuster then I heartily recommend that you pick it up. It is a solid 90 minute comedy with laughs from start to finish. It's a shame that this film doesn't even have a decent Wikipedia entry and lacks an official plot synopsis on IMDB because it is one of my favorite comedies.

Peter Gallagher went on to become Buddy King in American Beauty. He also went on to do voice work for Family Guy and Robot Chicken.

No comments: